- FREE Legal Counsel.
- OMHA advocates before governmental bodies of all levels for helpful industry laws and regulations while fighting against unreasonable legislation that impacts your business
- The ability to attend classes, seminars and conferences on educational, legal, legislative and regulatory issues
- A regional chapter so that you have the ability to network with fellow industry members in your immediate geographic area
- Information to assist you in community education, financing, Ohio MH Commission and public relations efforts
- Complimentary company profile listing on the OMHA website
- A clearinghouse of information on rules, regulations, laws and helpful data
- OMHA “members only” section of the web site.
- Periodic news bulletins to quickly inform you about changes in laws and regulations that impact your business
- Access — one of the industry’s most respected newsletters (published quarterly)
- Discounted membership services through OMHA partners.
- the opportunity to attend the OMHA Annual Golf Outing and Party
- And More…
Ohio Manufactured Homes Association Report Card to Members
Letter from the Executive Director
We, at OMHA, would like to thank you for your ongoing support. Your membership has been an important factor in advocating as well as preventing dangerous legislation for our industry. We once again request your continued support by renewing your membership (by January 1st). In the past few years many new businesses have joined OMHA and realize the value of our Association.
We encourage you to take a moment to review OMHA’s recent accomplishments listed below to assist you in your decision to renew your membership.
Ohio Department of Commerce Regulation of Manufactured Homes
OMHA is playing a vital role in the transfer of all installation, dispute resolution, manufactured home community and retail regulatory programs from the Manufactured Home Commission to the Ohio Department of Commerce effective January 21, 2018. OMHA will be advocating for your business interests regarding any changes to the programs to ensure manufactured homes remain affordable and fairly regulated. OMHA members will review ongoing information and assistance throughout the process.
Free Legal Counsel and Model Documents—Our OMAH Legal Counsel provides free legal advice to MEMBERS ONLY on various topics. Also available are the latest model documents to keep your business legally complaint. Such documents are model sale contracts, leases, community rules, advertising language, red flag rules, SAFE Act Language, Loan Originator guidance and more. Our General Counsel also authors a quarterly article for members answering common legal questions.
Abandoned Homes Legislation –OMHA legislation to improve procedures for the removal of abandoned manufactured homes from manufactured home communities as suggested by members. The new law which took effect September 30, 2017 will also make it easier to acquire title to abandoned homes as a result of a deceased title holder.
Upcoming Legislation—Currently OMHA is working on the following legislative actions:
- changes to allow housing providers to recover attorney fees in frivolous fair housing complaints
- OMHA also supported a new law to ensure community owners reasonable control of flag displays by residents
- Prevent mandates for community owners to clean up meth labs
- Allow sub metered communities to collect administrative fees and sell water at residential rates while purchasing at commercial rates
- Successfully removed legislative language that would have allowed EPA to seize rental income for water system corrections
- Ease grounds for eviction for nuisance and disorderly tenants
- Possible grants of up to $5,000 for ADA modifications to homes
- Obtain legislative exemptions to stricter foreclosure processing
- And various other legislative and administrative proposed rules to protect and enhance our industry.
Education and Training –More than 1,500 industry members have enrolled in our MEMBER DISCOUNTED training for legal, financing, community management, sales training, SAFE Act, Red Flag Rules, and home installations, etc.
Zoning and Taxation – Manufactured homes can now be sited in any locale zoned single family residential as long as all uniformly applied zoning requirements are met. The law also lowered property and sales taxes for new manufactured homeowners up to 40% and completely eliminated used homes sales taxes.
Legal Precedents – OMHA has initiated legal action to significantly reduce zoning barriers in localities throughout the state. And, in cooperation with the Ohio Attorney General, OMHA also obtained a stay in federal court from requiring court orders for repossession titles, thus saving retailers and community owners’ significant legal costs.
Liens and Tax liabilities – New law allows community owners to display and sell homes in manufactured home communities in order to increase occupancy and upgrade communities. This legislation also will completely forgive liens on homes a community owner, retailer, or lender may repossess or purchase, while limiting the actual payment of back tax liability to only 5 years.
Modular Home Program – Plan review times are now being submitted on-line. In addition, OMHA has clarified modular sales tax concerns and developed subcontractor agreements to clearly identify the construction contractor relationship.
I hope this update is of value. We look forward to your continued membership in the Ohio Manufactured Homes Association!